It's Wednesday agian.....which means what?!?! Writer's Workshop Wednesday that is!! I love wednesday! So, head over to Mama's Losin It and join in on the fun!
Here's what I chose:
Write about a brief, but scary encounter with one of your old professors or teachers.
Oh...let me take you back...hold on to your seat belts! We're off to sophmore year of high school and beleive me it's a bumpy ride so you better hold on! I just moved to a new town, hence going to a new school. I felt like I was truly in a twilight zone, everyone was so different and so, so very strange! Ride along with me if you will to Geometry class....scary thing that is! I will call this teacher...Mrs. Iamtoobusyreadingnewspaper to actually care about teaching! Mrs. Iamtoobusyreadingnewspaper was horrible...she would teach for the first 10-15 minutes of class and then give us our assignment and say, "get to work" while she went and sat down and read the newspaper for the rest of class. She would get irritated if you had questions, she would get down right ugly if you didn't then understand what she was talking about after said questions were answered.
Wait for it, it's coming! Let's not forget that at this time I am a teenager with a big fat attitude.
So, the day is here....I have a question, she answers it, I say that I don't understand and she with her bottle cap glasses and her roaming eye looks me straight in the face, slams her eraser on my desk and says, "What part of this are you not understanding!?!"
Well......I told her, "The whole effin darn thing!" (insert the real words that I used there)
I then told her if it was too darn hard for her to teach it to me then maybe she shouldn't be a effin teacher. (agian insert real words there!)
Needless to say I got shipped off to the principals office, dad got called in about it, and I stood my ground with the principal and told him the whole situation and said I shouldn't have used those few choice words but she also shouldn't be allowed to make her students feel like idiots because they didn't understand something and isn't that what school is for...to be taught not yelled at! To my amazement my dad stood right behind me in agreement and defended me too. I didn't get in any trouble other than a warning to not let it happen agian and they immediatley took me out of the class and put me in another one. Thank God for that! I can say now that I know she is a very nice woman as my husband actually grew up with her son and have seen her since then but I honestly believe that she shouldn't have been teaching unless it was the honors classes. She didn't mind teaching the smart kids, she just didn't like us students who couldn't grasp what she was teaching.
I can also say that to this day, I feel so glad that my dad was there defending me. I deserved to get in trouble for how I said everything but he understood in the sense that you can only take so much of feeling stupid because of someone else. I know there will come a time when something like this will happen with my children and I pray that I can see past maybe the attitude and be able to listen to them and defend them. They too will probably be grounded for how they say things but I will still be there defending them like my dad did for me!
Well, now it's your turn! Whatcha got for us?!? Oh and come back later but I have several blogs on my mind today!
Tuesday, September 9, 2008
Writer's Workshop Wednesday
Posted by T at 8:17 PM
Labels: Writer's Workshop Wednesday
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
I had a teacher that didn't like to teach too!! I think it was Algebra!
Ooooh... I had a teacher like that! He taught (and I use that word loosely) chemistry, which I could NOT grasp. He realized quickly I wasn't getting it so he simply stopped calling on me, much to my relief, really, but it makes me mad today that he didn't care enough about an otherwise good student who was struggling a LOT to offer any sort of help.
There are many people out there teaching that have no business doing it. It's a shame we and now our kids have to suffer through this.
oooh, oooh... i had the
MR. Iamtoobusyreadingnewspaper teacher too, and for algebra also! I wish I would have had the attitude to tell him off... oh well.
Wow, that took a lot of guts! Did you quickly become popular after that outburst? Most of my teachers growing up were pretty good, thankfully. In college, things changed with some of my professors ... they became very much like your teacher.
I swear we must of had the same teacher. My sophmore geometry was the worst. Maybe that is the reason I barely passed with a C. She and I also had some serious issues with each other:)
Wow, that kinda sounds like my story I posted on Mama kats blog, some teachers just should NOT be teaching!
I'm glad the school moved you and your father was behind you!
Amazing how some teachers are allowed to be teachers!
Oh my! Good for your dad ad for the principal for moving you to another class!
YES! Lacey in the Sky wrote a post about standing up to a teacher too and I love reading them!!
I'm pretty sure I might keep those choice words just as they were...
Girl I was in the principals office a lot...why you ask because I talked out of turn, argued with the teacher and didn't take no for an answer...good for you for standing up and your dad for backing you.
Good for you for calling the teacher out!
Post a Comment