Friday, September 26, 2008

Judging Others......

I have a story. It's a long story. I don't know how to write it with it actually making sense!! I am having an issue with a girl in my American Lit class. I feel like I am back in high school. I feel that sometimes people should just keep their mouths shut when they don't know what they are talking about. I love when other people judge me for things I have done in my life. They have totally walked in my shoes and know what happen so they have absolute every right to judge me. And call me a whore. They totally have every right. Of course they do, because they know me. Yep, that's it. They have never made mistakes. They have never done things they shouldn't have. Nope. They are perfect therefore they get to judge.

What, you ask??? Is that sarcasm in my voice??? ABSOLUTELY!! I am pissed. and yes I who tries my best to never cuss on my blog. (that by the way will be another blog post really soon, bet your wondering why I would post on that subject, huh? Just wait...that's another day!) I am royally pissed.

I am having issues with a girl in my lit class because she is just so ugly to other people. It feels like high school again because she is picking on people who are so shy that they don't really defend themselves. I had enough and defended a girl that sits next to me last week, over something so silly I might add. The girl was literally picking on this other girl endlessly because she left a tag on her jacket she just bought that day. Stupid huh? Yeah, I agree. I defended.

Same class, same girl, different day. Group is waiting for class to start, conversations flowing. Teen pregnancy is topic. Hits close to home seeing as I got pregnant at 16. I did not involve myself in this conversation at all until the same girl states that anyone that gets pregnant between the ages of 15-19ish are whores. Yes she said whores. Because she knows all those people and know that they slept around with everyone in sight. Yep she knows them ALL. Oh and she also said they should give those kids up for adoption or abort them so they don't grow up and find out their mother's are whores. Let's just say this did not go over so well for me. I asked her if she had sex? She did not answer but I am not exaggerating when I say you could tell the answer is yes. I said then your are a fine one to be judging others. I said you could just as easily get pregnant (oh and she is 18 by the way, so she is most definitely in her age range of whore status by her own statement).
I then proceeded to tell her that I got pregnant at 16 and I had my baby and she is now a perfectly, healthy 8 year old girl who lacks for NOTHING!! I said that I worked my butt off for her and that she has never went without anything and when she gets older she will know exactly who her mom was and what the situation was and she will also know that her mom did something she was to young to do but that she doesn't regret having her ONE DAMN BIT! and that her mom is not and was not a whore just because she got pregnant so young. I then proceeded to tell her that maybe she should keep her mouth shut when she didn't have a clue what she was talking about.


So, on with the conversation...few more things said and then time for class. I was shaking I was so upset. I have had this happen before and every time I get so mad. Yes, I was young. Yes, I was being stupid. Yes, I am HUMAN. Why do people out their believe that just because you are young that you shouldn't have the kid. I completely believe in adoption and that it's an awesome thing for woman to have that option but to be told that it should have been my only option other than an abortion because I was young and would be a horrible mom just upsets me. I am a darn good mom. I believe other young girls out there will go through the situation and still be great moms. I believe the best thing for girls out their in these situations is to know that they aren't a bad person. They are loved and will be supported in the decisions they make. Sadly, that isn't always what happens, actually most of the time it's not. I thank God today that I had such an awesome family to support me. They help me along in the process and my daughter had so much love. I had so much love.

I also can honestly say that without having my daughter when I did, I am not so sure I would have been as determined about finishing school and going on to college. I learned alot about my strength because of her. I don't wish it on others, I don't think it's the best situation for a young person to be it. You always want better for your kids but I abosolutley do not regret what happen. I will always be honest with my kids about it too.

My brother has gone through several different situations like this too. He married young and had his daughter young and because they were young and looked young, he has gotten the judgmental stares and conversations.

So, sorry long post just had to get it off my chest. This is definitely something I have to keep praying about. I need to learn to control my temper when dealing with people like this. And I have to remind myself that I too can be judgmental at times about other things because aren't we all judgemental at one point or another. I will just keeping prayer that I will have a calm, non judgemental spirit!

8 comments:

Joy said...

Girl you just have to blow off stupid young girls like that.

Like all these people who are condemming Sarah Palin because her daughter is preggo and she supports abstinece. Come the freak on how many out there had sex when they were teenagers when their parents obviously did not want them to have sex!!

I did not go thru a situation like your but had a couple of friends and a sister who had a baby at a young age. Let me tell ya I am not sure I could have done it, I was to caught up in myself to take care of someone else. But that did not stop me from doing stupid things even though I KNEW what could happen.

Some people thought I was crazy for getting married at barely 21 and having a baby 2yrs later. So trust me you can never please everyone, they will always have their idea of what is the best way to do it. We were married for 3 yrs and had a 9mth old before the next friend got married

Jen said...

Oh boy does this girl need to wake up & realize that she is SO wrong! While I wasn't 16 when I had our oldest, I was 21 & single when she was born. NEVER slept around... was with her dad for about 5 yrs preceeding her birth. We went our separate ways for awhile but then ended up together & getting married in the end. Now we've got her & our little one & life is so good! Just because a woman has a child when she is young, that does NOT mean she & the child are doomed! I had a wonderful, loving family, who has always supported me whether they agreed with me or not. If only people would change their opinions & be more supportive of young mothers, maybe they would all be able to turn out like we did! God bless you for standing up for yourself & the rest of us who were so horrible judged!

Candid Carrie said...

You did a good job rambling, Tabi.

And sadly, not all the young women that get pregnant at a young age are as determined as you.

The first pair of children we adopted from foster care were out of gross neglect. Mom was a stripper, dad was a tattoo-er and the kids grew up in a crib. They were five and three when we got them. We were their fifth and final foster home. And the damages incurred by these two children are uncurable.

I don't mean to shed a light on the dark side of the situation and the immature, outspoken girl needs to learn how to keep her mouth shut.

Not all unplanned pregnancies can get lumped into the same category and not all unwed mothers cannot get lumped into the same category and not all children from teen mothers can get lumped into the same category.

Because if we were all about the "lumping" we'd be saying that all eighteen year old girls that have had sex and shoot their mouths off on topics they know nothing about are LOSERS.

But we're trying hard not to be about judging, right? (she said with sarcasm in her voice).

Rachel said...

She is ignorant and I am sad that her parents didnt teach her any better!

I got pregnant at 19 does that mean I was more mature than 16...hmmm no it's just a #.

don't let that biatch ruin your day!

tiarastantrums said...

Oh Tabitha - sorry you have to deal with this at school! That girl is so young, she doesn't have a clue about life or anything yet! Don't let her get you riled up, she hasn't made enough mistakes to keep her mouth shut yet! YOU KNOW YOU ARE A GOOD MOM and so not what she implied!

Becky said...

I think you did the right thing and I hope others in the class felt that too... I bet they did. I would spend my time with a teen mom over a loud mouth fool anyday. Sounds like this girl is going to be in for some rude awakenings... life does not revolve around her personal, misinformed opinions. You are awesome, fun, witty, and I can tell by the way you write about your kids and by their beaming smiles that you are an awesome mom. So there!

Anonymous said...

I am clapping really loud for you right now! You go girl!! I'm very proud of you!!!

Shannon said...

Good for you.

Maybe now this girl will think before she speaks... especially on topics she knows nothing about~