Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Update on the Hubby

I just had to go back through my post to realize that I haven't updated on Hubbies sleep study! Remember this post? I thought this weekend was going to turn into that! We got a phone call last Tuesday that Hubby does indeed have Sleep Apnea and could he come in again on Saturday for another night so they could put him on the oxygen machines and test that out. Could he please be there at the same time as last weekend...around 9:30. We said sure, no biggie.

Well, my mom decides to come hang with us and stay the night since her hubby is out of town and mine is gone for the night. He drives over an hour away for his study to get there and see that the clinic where the study is at is CLOSED! He calls me asking if maybe we had a message that they cancelled it...I said no. We haven't had any! So, he calls the number he has and they tell him that his appointment is set of for the NEXT weekend and not this weekend. I know that I didn't not have the wrong date because when the lady called last week to schedule the appointment hubby was right beside me and I asked with her still on the phone, if he thought this weekend would be okay. He said yes, and then she gave me time and date again.

Well, here is my husband an hour away and extremely tired already and the place is closed! The lady asked him if he could just come next weekend and he says, "well yes, I can, but I just drove over an hour to get here." And this is where they get HUGE kudos from me....the lady herself called one of the technicians who was willing to come in and they got him in that night! I thought wow, even though I know it was initially their screw up, how awesome is that, that they are willing to fix it! The lady apologize a dozen times and came in herself and started setting things up for when the technician got there. Isn't that awesome!?!

Anyways, hubby brings his results home from the initial test and goes over it with me and let me tell you. SCARY! He stopped breathing 115 times in five hours! They considered the not breathing indicator at not breathing for more than 10 seconds. The paper does not show how long he stopped breathing each time, we just know that it was more than 10 seconds. For the average person that does not have sleep apnea, the normal range for this is below 25 for the five hours and he had 115! It states that he has severe apnea in his stage 3,4 and rem sleep. He woke himself up forty times in the 5 hours without even realizing it. So, all this pretty much goes to show why he is sooooo tired ALL the time. He never feels rested when he wakes up and now we know why!

So, they tried the oxygen study this weekend to see if it will help and then we go from there depending on if it does or not. I am praying that is all he needs and not surgery! I am hoping we get some results back today!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

OMG that is scary. My dad has this and has to sleep with the machine. I wish him all the best! Good thing they made up for the error...it's hard to find that now days!

SabrinaT said...

The surgery is called a U Triple P. My husband had it 3 years ago. It has worked amazingly well. He stopped breathing while deployed. His boss was walking by and noticed he was not breathing. After a few seconds his boss yanked him out of his bed and the next day he was on a flight home.. After the surgery he was in A LOT of pain for a few weeks. BUT, they had him on good drugs. Today he sleeps sound, and has so much more energy. Good Luck, Keep us posted...

Becky said...

Wow, that is scary stuff. To stop breathing once or twice would be scary, but 115 times! I am so glad that they came in an you got the study done. He is going to feel so much better once he gets used to the machine. I know people who say it makes them feel like a new person.

Brandi said...

That is scary! My dad has sleep apenea and has to sleep with one of those breathing machines. I always joke with him that it sounds like Darth Vader lives at his house when it is on.

M said...

That is some scary stuff. I hope he gets it resolved without surgery.

Two of the guys I work with are on CPAP machines and they said it has made a world of difference.